NASM Personal Trainer
Do you want to attain a higher level of expertise? Do you want to become a well-known, in-demand Personal Trainer? If yes, the NASM™ course is exactly what you need. It will considerably increase your chances of succeeding in your career, as well of boosting client satisfaction!
Developed by NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine, USA) based on the OPT model (Optimum Performance Training), NASM™ training Essentials of Personal Training is one of the most recognised course programs worldwide.
The OPT model, or Optimum Performance Training model, is aptly named: based on research and scientific findings, it’s backed by over 30 years of experience with clients ranging from complete beginner to pro. This means that you can take into account the specific requirements of every client.
Once you’ve gained your Physical Coaching Academy certification, we’ll automatically enter you as a level 4 Personal Trainer in the EREPS register (European Register of Exercise Professionals). EREPS is recognised by EuropeActive (the European Health and Fitness Association).
Become a high-level, recognized Personal Trainer offering bespoke coaching and advice.
- You understand the functional and postural workings of the body, as well as basic physiology.
- You have the practical experience required to carry out tests (functional) and design bespoke programs.
- You have the knowledge required to provide a systematic and tailored approach for each individual.
Advanced education: our education programs incorporates the latest scientific research once it’s been laboratory tested and approved by NASM in the US.
Lessons and exams
- The course spans 12 weeks (3–4 months)
- 9 days of lessons, alternating between theory and practical sessions
- 2 days of exams (theory and practical)
Teaching days are organised so that every participant has sufficient time to absorb the theory and put it into practice.
- 20-hour placement under the supervision of a certified Personal Trainer. You have to send your internship contract one week before the theoretical exam.
Day 1 teaching
- Introduction to the OPT model
- Promoting health, developing a Personal Training client package, the role of technology
- Basic principles of the physiology of exercise and kinetics
- Functional and postural analysis (assessment)
- Flexibility training A
Day 2 teaching
- Analysis of main compensations
- Flexibility training B
- Cardiovascular training
Day 3 teaching
- Core training (abdominal muscles)
- Balance training
- Plyometric training
Day 4 teaching
- SAQ training (Speed, Agility, Quickness)
- Resistance training (strength)
Day 5 teaching
- Training variables in phase I of the OPT model (stabilization)
- Phase I program design
- Coaching in phase I
Day 6 teaching
- Training variables in phase II, III and IV of the OPT model (strength endurance, hypertrophy and maximal strength)
- Program design in phase II, III and IV
- Coaching in phase II, III and IV
Day 7 teaching
- Training variables in phase V of the OPT model (power)
- Program design in phase V
- Coaching in phase V
- Psychosocial aspects of Personal Training: behavioural changes linked to training and nutrition
Day 8 teaching
- Basics of nutrition
- Changes to body composition and enhanced athletic performance
- Pathologies and nutrition
Day 9 teaching
- Becoming a successful Personal Trainer
- Legal considerations and advice
- Setting up your business
- Sales techniques
- How to gain loyal clients
The following materials are available to participants:
- A folder to facilitate note-taking, containing a copy of the presentation slides and the documents used in lessons.
- Lesson slides are also available as PDFs on our website and can be downloaded by participants.
- Reference works: NASM™ Essentials of Personal Fitness Training - 7th edition (in English).
- Access to online resources offered by NASM at NASM.org : videos, webinars, written exam practice quiz, etc.
Teaching culminates in 2 theory-based exams and 1 practical exam.
- You must hold a CPR/AED certificate (or equivalent).
- You must have completed a 20-hour placement under the supervision of a certified Personal Trainer.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The "NASM™ international exam" (120 minutes) 100 multiple-choice questions, in English, administered online by Physical Coaching Academy. To pass, students must score at least 70%.
- Case study (90 minutes). You will be given the data and test results for an imaginary client. Based on this information, you’ll design a personal periodised training program in line with the OPT model requirements. To pass, students must score at least 80%.
PCA Personal Trainer practical exam
The exam consists of conducting a one-hour Personal Training session in line with the OPT model methodology and requirements. You will be assisted by an imaginary client (neither NASM™ certified, nor enrolled on NASM™ training) who is physically able to complete the full training program.
You must provide the basic equipment required (Foam Roller, Speed Ladder, etc.) to pass the practical exam. We recommend procuring this equipment as soon as possible to allow you to practise. To this end, Physical Coaching Academy has created a Personal Trainer basic kit top quality, at a market-beating price. You can order your kit when you enrol for the NASM™ CPT (Certified Personal Trainer) program.
Should you fail the exam
* The "NASM™ international exam" can be sat twice at no extra cost. Each subsequent resit will be billed at €250 (excl. VAT).
* The case study may be retaken for a second (and final) time at no additional cost.
* For students retaking the practical exam (maximum one retake), a €150 (incl. VAT) exam fee will be charged.
In any event, you have a period of 6 months from the final day of the course in which to sit your exams, after which point you will be deemed to have failed.
NCCA Accredited Exam
For those who wish to relocate to the US for work, there is the option to sit the "NCCA Accredited Exam". There is an additional exam fee of €125 (incl. VAT) on top of the program cost. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.
- After passing the multiple-choice exam, you’ll find your "NASM™ international certificate" on your NASM™ account. Your Personal Trainer NASM™ certification must be renewed every two years. To this end, each coach is invited to continue their learning and to obtain a minimum of 2.0 CEU (continuing education units). You now have the option to request your NASMᵀᴹ Recertify For Life certification which enables you to switch from making a payment every two years, to paying in a single instalment.
- Once you’ve passed the case studies and the practical exam, you’ll receive a Physical Coaching Academy qualification which gives you access to the EREPS register (level 4).
To enrol for this program, you must hold an EREPS Level 3 / Fitness Instructor qualification (or equivalent). You must also have proven practical experience as a fitness instructor.
If you do not meet the criteria, you can enrol for the preparatory Physical Trainer course which, once you’ve passed the exam, provides access to the NASM™ training Essentials of Personal Training. Should you have any questions regarding the prerequisites, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Payment in 4 installments at no additional cost
You have the option to pay for the course in 4 monthly installments. The first payment of €626.00 is due at the time of ordering, and the remaining 3 installments of €623.00 each will be automatically debited by the payment service approximately 30 days apart.
An invoice with the total amount of the course will be issued, and you can choose the option 'I pay my order in 4 monthly installments’ after accepting our general terms and conditions. Once the order is placed, the estimated dates of debits will be available on your personal dashboard.
The Walloon Region grants financial aid for this course.
- Intended for self-employed/SMEs in the Walloon Region.
- € 15 VAT included for each hour of education. You can use chèques-formation up to € 945 (63 vouchers) to pay for this course.
Lessons take place between 9.00 and 17.00.
NASM™ Summer School
Over the summer, you’ll also have the opportunity to take part in the NASM™ SUMMER SCHOOL and gain your certification faster.
You’ll have the opportunity to complete the program over 9 consecutive days (as opposed to one day a week).
Once you have specified your preferred language, simply choose the schedule that suits you and follow the steps below to confirm your registration. It will take you no more than 2 minutes.
Due to the logistical organization, we kindly request you to ideally register for a course at least 2 weeks prior to the start date.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.